Monday, January 2, 2017

New Years Day 2017


New Years Day 2017


  • 6 hours of walking
  • Area covered: approximately 2 blocks south of Bloor, north to Dupont, from Dufferin to Spadina
  • A coffee break and a lunch break
  • 16 Little Free Libraries and 1 Open Field Project (Little Free Art Gallery)
  • Saw some fun stuff along the way
  • A bright sunny +2C spring-like New Years day
  • Couldn't ask for a better feel-good day
268 Havelock Street

We took a photo of this book in the Havelock little library
because we thought it we thought it was an
appropriate book for a Little Free Library.
(Didn't take it.)

So excited to find an Open Field Collective little free art gallery
beside the Little Free Library on Rusholme.
Being a sunny day, couldn't get a good photo
because of the reflection on the glass. Best to go visit it yourself. :)


256 Rusholme Road 
Our first coffee break.
We were relieved to find a cosy indie coffee shop open on New Years Day.



Field Trip Coffee menu board

626 Shaw Street

Monkey Library on 723 Shaw Street 
657 Crawford Street



We liked the title of this book in the Crawford Street little library:
Ramble Right My Evil Twin Sister no. 3
(Didn't take it.)

This book is one of our favourite reads.
All of Mary Lawson's books are wonderful.
They take place in remote Ontario.
(Didn't take it.)

Left our Walking Sisters post it note book
 in each little library. 

This was a fun surprise. A little library with a big Christmas bear on top.
383 Montrose Avenue

468 Grace Street 
663 Euclid Avenue



Delicious coffee and lunch (beef barley soup - great comfort food)
at the french cafe Chabichou, on Harbord

Chabichou cheeses

Lattes and croissant at Chabichou

When scanning the streets for Little Free Libraries we sometimes find fun surprises.
A Christmas Story lamp in a window on Brunswick Avenue

A pig on  a lawn on Howland Avenue

25 Howland Avenue
The space beneath the roof would make a great gallery
St Paul's Church at Bloor and Major


We almost took this book because it won a Stephen Leacock award
and we heard it was a good read.
But we have to catch up on the books we already have.
261 Brunswick Avenue
https://twitter.com/library33975
848 Palmerston Avenue

550 Clinton Street

Borrowed this book.
My sister said it was good, and it takes place in Toronto. 

Side view of the Clinton box

Stopped off for a quick break at a Starbuck's in an old bank.
The vault was turned in to a private room. 

As we wandered back to the car,
we ended up on Yarmouth street.
It  is the home of a life size white elephant statue.
To our surprise there was a
Little Free Library a couple of houses down from it.
63 Yarmouth Road



Stumbled upon this one too.
The library is painted the same colour
as the window on the second floor.
950 Shaw Street

Another interesting surprise find
as we headed back to the car, a piano turned in to an art wall.

We set out to find 10 Little Free Libraries that were on our map. We ended up finding 6 more, a total of 16, plus a Little Free Art Gallery (Open Field Collective), 3 unusual fun things on lawns, and an amazing amount of old residential architecture.




3 comments:

Claire Franceschetti said...

Hi There!

This blog post is such a lovely surprise! I found your notepad in my Little Free Library at the corner of Pacific and Glenlake. I'm so glad to have found it, and I hope you enjoyed exploring my little corner of the city!

I installed my LFL last year because I love books and I love reading and I want to encourage others in my neighbourhood to also explore books. I have learned so much about myself and others through this experiment...It's taught me so much!

I will read your blog and watch for more of your exciting discoveries!

Thank you again!

Claire LFL #39931

Walking Sister - R- said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Walking Sister -R- said...

Apologies for the extra late reply. I'm just getting use to the features on Blogger and noticed a bunch of replies waiting for moderation. It was so exciting to see that people were really leaving comments. My sister was wondering. I just assumed not one was responding.

What a great day it was. That Little Library of yours is big and beautiful. The street corner location is a great spot for it. We really enjoyed looking at and through the books. I tend to fixate of the art and structure of the library (I really liked the barn shape) and my sister loves the books. Thanks so much for your LFL, and for leaving a comment on our blog!